It’s a beautiful day in the Statesboro, Metter, and Sylvania area, so you decide to take a ride in your beloved Chevrolet. While you’re seamlessly cruising through neighborhoods and maybe gaining some speed on the highway, something happens. A light pops up on your dashboard. You may ask yourself, “Is there something wrong with my car?”
If you know your dashboard light meaning, you’ll know what steps to take next. This is why Franklin Chevrolet has created this guide on the most popular dashboard lights meanings. Read below and the next time something pops up on your dashboard, you’ll be ready.
Schedule a Service Appointment Today
Chevrolet Dashboard Light Guide
- Check Engine Light: One of the most popular symbols you should be aware of is the check engine light. This looks like an outline of a car engine and will indicate if something is wrong with your powertrain or emissions system. When this light shows itself, make sure to schedule an appointment at your authorized Chevy dealer’s service center.
- Brake Systems/ABS Light: This warning light will appear showing you an (ABS) or (!) symbol letting you know there may be an issue with your brakes. Though this could be sensing low brake fluid or worn brake pads, it could also be something more serious. Pull off to the side of the road and assess your brakes when you see this symbol then call a certified technician for further steps. Schedule brake service at Franklin Chevrolet.
- Tire Pressure Monitor: When the little symbol of a tire’s cross-section with an exclamation point appears on your dash, it’s time to check your tire’s pressure. Stop the vehicle when it is safe to do so and take a reading of your tire pressure on each tire and fill up if needed. If not assessed quickly, you could experience everything from a lowered fuel economy to a possible blow out. Schedule tire service here.
- Oil Pressure Light: The oil pressure light, which looks like a tiny oil can, is another symbol that shouldn’t be ignored. This could mean your engine’s oil pressure is too low or something even more serious. To avoid expensive engine damage in the future, make an appointment to get it checked right away.
- Engine Coolant Light: If your Chevy engine is too hot, this light will illuminate on your dashboard showing you a temperature gauge. As an overheated engine can cause serious and dangerous outcomes, it’s important you pull your vehicle to the side of the road as soon as it is safe to do so. Wait for the engine to cool off and drive straight to our service center. Or, contact our team for further assistance.
- Fuel Warning Light: Another important light found on your dashboard is your fuel warning system. When it senses you are running low on gas, a little gas pump symbol will appear letting you know it’s time to fill up your tank. Not doing so could result in you getting stranded, so don’t skip the next gas station!
Clear Your Dashboard at Franklin Chevrolet
The next time you’re hitting the streets of Statesboro, Metter, or Sylvania and see a light shine on your dash, know what to do! If needed, simply bring your vehicle to our state-of-the-art Chevrolet service center. Filled with certified technicians, they can assess, diagnose, and repair the issue, allowing you to get back on the road again safely.
To schedule your appointment, contact us or use our online portal today!